These inconspicious looking cookies are great to prepare for the next day, put together so quickly and taste absolutely fantastic. The dough is easy to work with and the cookies become soft but still have a little crunch to them. For me they taste like childhood…
- 10g potash
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 500g flour
- 125g sugar
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/3 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/8 teaspoon clove powder
- 375g beet root syrup
- 125g vegan butter / vegetable spread
- Mix potash with warm water in a small bowl.
- Pour the flour in a big bowl and form a through on top where you put sugar, juice of the lemon, cardamom, clove and cinnamon inside.
- Heat up the beet root syrup in a little pot.
- Take care: sirup tends to boil over quickly!
- Take the pot of the stove and pour in the vegan butter to dissolve.
- Let the mix of syrup and vegan butter cool down for about 5 minutes, then put it inside the bowl with the flour and combine well. The dough is quite tight so I suggest you use a hand mixer. While mixing, pour in the potash with the water.
- Form the dough inside a ball, wrap it in cling film and put it in the fridge overnight.
- On the next day spread some flour on your working surface and roll out the dough quite thin (take a look at the pictures below).
- Outdo some shapes pf your desire and transfer them onto a baking tray with a sheet of baking paper on.
- Take care: the cookies will grow and spread a little when in the oven so don’t place them too close to each other.
- Bake cookies with 180°C/350°F with heat from above and the bottom for about 6 minutes.
- Store them in a closed container in a dark and cool place and most importantly: have some before everybody else finds out how good they are.. (: