This fresh tomato soup is prepared really quickly and is great as a starter, side dish or even main dish. The flavours of ginger, chili, garlic and onion combine to a complex rich taste, that is perfected by the coconutmilk. You can easily store this soup in your fridge for several days and even freeze it. Enjoy!
Recipe for 4 people
- 1 kg tomatoes, fresh
- 1 – 2 onions, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 piece of ginger (I had quite a big piece about the sice of my little finger because I just love ginger)
1 chili (medium spice)
- 700 ml water
- 2 tablespoons of tomato concentrate
- 1 can of coconutmilk (You only need the thick white part of it, that hardens when you put the can in the fridge for a few hours. Just take it out with a spoon and throw out the water underneath.)
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable broth powder
- pinch of salt & pepper
- smooth parsley, fresh
- Incise the bottom of all tomatoes with a sharp knife as you can see in the first picture. Put all of them in a bowl and pour boiling hot water over them until they are covered completely. Leave them like this for 10 minutes.
- Pour away the water and skin the tomatoes using either a knife or your hands. Cut out the green stalk on the top. Chop the tomatoes roughly.
- While you wait on the tomatoes, chop down onions, garlic, ginger and chili in small pieces.
- Heat up the oil in a pot. When it is hot, add onions, garlic, ginger, chili and tomato concentrate and fry together for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and let everything cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth powder, water and the hard white part of the coconutmilk.
- Allow soup to cook for another 15 minutes, stir around every now and then.
- Season with salt, pepper and vegetable broth
- If you like you can purree the soup now but I prefer it with little chunks.
- Before serving sprinkle some fresly cut parsley on top of the soup and offer with roasted white bread or toast.
Suggestion: If you own green pepper, add some of it on top of the soup before serving. It goes perfectly well with the tomato flavour!