How about a selfmade treat? Sometimes it just has to be something fatty… And this recipe allows you to get fried onion rings without any eggs!
They taste delicious without anyone even noticing they taste differently than other onion rings! My visitors loved them and ate them all up within minutes!
- 1 bottle of beer (0,5l)
- 2 cups of wheat flour
- 2 vegetable onions, peeled (the really big ones)
- 1- 2 garlic gloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons salt
- at least 1 l frying oil / neutral oil
- fresh leaf parsley
- Heat up the frying oil in a big pot. In case you own a deep fryer, you can of course use it!
- You know the oil is hot enough when you stick in a piece of wood (from a wooden spoon for example) and little bubbles rise from it.
- Cut the onion in rings.
- Mix beer and flour until they are well combined, then add the finely chopped garlic gloves, the chopped parsley and the salt.
- Check the consistency of the dough when everything is mixed: if it is too fluid, just add some more flour with a spoon until the dough sticks to the onion.
- When the oil is hot enough, cover an onion ring with dough from both sides and put it in the pot. You will notice that the temperature of the oil is too high if the onion ring turns dark really quickly. In this case, just lower the temperature and wait for a few minutes, then try again. It was really easy to find the perfect temperature like this.
- Flip around the onion ring after about 20 seconds. When it has reached a nicely golden colour, take it out of the oil ( I used a fork).
- If you like you can put them on a kitchen towel to absorb some fat or just put them on a plate.
- I sprinkled some more salt on top and added some more fresh parsley.
- As a dip try ketchup and / or vegan mayo.
Suggestion: These onion rings are best when eaten right after they are made; otherwise they will become soggy, just like any other deep fried product would.
This was the outcome of only 2 onions!